Saturday, 16 June 2018


The houseboy of a naval officer, Lieutenant Abubakar Yusuf, has owned up to killing his 35-year-old boss and his girlfriend, Lorraine Onye, blaming the crime on frustration.
After strangling Onye, a 300 level student, the suspect, Raphael Jaja, stabbed Yusuf to death, packed his corpse in a bag and took it to a bush where he set it ablaze.
The native of the Opobo-Nkoro Local Government Area, Rivers State, said he decided to end the lovers’ lives cruelly because his boss allegedly refused to pay his 15 months’ salary, but could afford to buy an expensive phone for the girlfriend and pay N300,000 rent for her.
He said the naval officer had promised to help him save the salary – N15,000 per month – and pay him at once so he could use the money to plan his wedding. He said he felt bad when Yusuf reneged on the promise.
Reports had it that the naval officer killed his lover and took to his heels until recently when a discreet investigation conducted on the incident by DCP Abba Kyari-led Inspector-General of Police Intelligence Response Team unraveled the mystery behind the crime.
Saturday Punch learned the investigation followed a report made by the father of the late naval officer to the police.
The detectives got a lead after tracing Yusuf’s mobile phone to Jaja’s friend in Port Harcourt. The friend, who bought the phone from Jaja, led the operatives to arrest the killer houseboy on Monday, June 4, 2018.
A police officer told Punch that Jaja confessed to the crime and led investigators to recover the carcass of the naval officer in the bush as well as the deceased’s Hyundai Veloster which he sold for N1.9m.
“We also recovered the naval officer’s phone which he exchanged with the friend in addition to N30,000,” the officer added.
While giving a shocking revelation about the crime in an interview with a Punch correspondent on Wednesday, 28-year-old Jaja narrated how he struck a relationship with his late boss and lived with him in his one bedroomed apartment.
He said “I am a technician. I have worked at Abuja International Airport. I returned to Port Harcourt in 2016 because my brother was ill. In July 2016, somebody introduced me to Lt. Yusuf that he wanted to install a DSTV. He was serving at the Navy Primary School in Port Harcourt. After I installed the DSTV, he told me to fix some wires. He was happy with the job I did.
“I told him I wanted to go back to Abuja, but he persuaded me to stay back and work for him. He gave me the spare key to his apartment and I started living with him. He promised to pay me N15,000 monthly and that he would pay all my money before my marriage slated for December 2017. He met his girlfriend sometime in 2017. Whenever she passed the night at the apartment, the lieutenant would ask me to sleep in a store in the compound.”
Jaja explained that he helped the late officer to execute two contracts worth N22.8m in September 2017 and he promised to give him a share of N2.5m. He said for ethical reasons, Yusuf did not use his name to secure the contracts, which involved the supply of computers to technical schools.
“While I was preparing for my wedding, I asked him to give me N400,000; he said he had no money. I eventually borrowed N320,000 to do the wedding. In January 2018, I went back to him to ask for my money. He said he did not have money and that I was disturbing him. I stopped going to the barracks. In March 2018, he called me several times, but I did not pick his calls. When I later picked, he said he had a job for me. On getting to his office, he said he had given it to somebody else because I didn’t come on time. He laughed at me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

DISCLAIMER: Comments made here does not reflect in anyway the opinion of Sephora News or its staff.
Send Your Story Here:
Call/Whatsapp: +393272563329