The Federal Controller of works in Lagos state, Mr Olukayode on sunday said the Federal Government of Nigeria is set to release the total Shutdown in Lagos mainland Bridge from 12 Midnight of Sunday 31st January 2021.

 

While thanking road users for their understanding, Mr Popoola said that the reopening had been communicated to the Lagos State government and all relevant agencies to ensure seamless traffic on the highway.

READ ALSO: Fire Raze Down Seven Shops In Anambra State

NAN recalls that Popoola had, on Jan. 27, announced a three-day total shutdown of the bridge from the midnight of Friday to midnight of Monday, Feb. 1 to allow for replacement of three expansion joints.

The bridge, which is going through series of repairs, was partially shut on July 24, 2020 for another round of rehabilitation works.

The repair, expected to last six months, was extended by one month due to the #EndSARS protests in Lagos, thus extending the completion date from January to February.

The construction was initially divided into two phases of three months on each carriageway, starting with the Oworonsoki-bound carriageway whose completion dragged to four months.

Traffic was partially diverted on a stretch of 3.5 kilometres where construction is ongoing between Adeniji Adeniji ramp and Ebute-Meta, while different time belts were allotted for traffic diversions on the bridge.

The 11.8-kilometre bridge is the longest of the three bridges connecting Lagos Island to the Mainland.

The bridge starts from Oworonshoki, which is linked to the Apapa-Oshodi expressway and the Lagos-Ibadan expressway and ends at the Adeniji Adele interchange on Lagos Island.

Constructed in 1990, the bridge was adjudged the longest in Africa until 1996 when the Oct. 6 Bridge in Cairo, Egypt, was completed.

 

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here